Killer refuses to speak to police in jail about where he hid stepdaughter’s body

A man who murdered his stepdaughter after she made claims of sexual abuse against him has so far refused to tell police where her body is.

Scott Walker, 51, was jailed for a minimum of 32 years on Friday over the death of Bernadette Walker, 17.

The teenager – known as Bea – was last seen alive on July 18 when the killer collected her from his parents’ house in Peterborough.

Prosecutors said that Scott then killed her to “prevent her pursuing her allegations of sexual abuse any further”.

Tragically, her body has not been found, despite searches – and it is not known how she was killed.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary revealed today that detectives have visited Scott in prison since his conviction in order to try to speak with him – but he continually refuses to give up any information.

DI Justine Jenkins said: “I still hope we may get the answers we need to be able to find her and lay her to rest.

“If anyone has any information about this investigation which may help us find Bea, please get in touch.

“We may never know the truth about what Scott did and why, but we do know Bea had made allegations of abuse against him.”

Nicola Rice, senior prosecutor from CPS East of England, added: “Despite a police investigation and search, Bea’s body has never been recovered.

“We all hope that one day Scott and Sarah Walker will do the right thing and say where she is in the hope that dignity can be returned to her.”

Sentencing, Judge Mrs Justice McGowan said Scott’s refusal to tell police where Bernadette’s body is “means she can’t be shown the respect she deserves”.

“Cruellest of all it’s likely to mean some members of her family and friends will go on hoping she might be alive and might someday come back into their lives,” she added.

A law has been introduced in Queensland, Australia which states that convicted killers cannot be granted parole unless they are deemed to have satisfactorily helped with the search for a body.

Different legislation – dubbed ‘Helen’s Law’ – was given Royal Assent in the UK last year, which makes it harder for prisoners who do not reveal the location of their victims to get parole.

But human rights restrictions prevent a categorical no body, no parole law being introduced.

Martin Jones, the chief executive of the Parole Board, told the BBC last year that failure to co-operate and reveal such information is “frowned upon” and could see a prisoner having requests for parole denied in the first instance.

But he added: “What it cannot do is act as a complete block on your release.

“Ultimately if someone is no longer a risk, we must release them.”

The court heard that Scott did not bring Bernadette back to their home in Century Square, Millfield, on the morning of her disappearance.

And it was later revealed that the photography student had written in a diary entry: “Told my mum about my dad and the abuse.

“She called me a liar and threatened to kill me if I told the police.”

Walker said that Bernadette ran away from his car when he stopped the vehicle, but jurors rejected his account, convicting him of murder.

Lisa Wilding QC, prosecuting, said that Scott Walker formed an “unholy alliance” with Bernadette’s mother, his ex-partner Sarah Walker, to cover up the girl’s death, sending messages from Bernadette’s phone to give the impression she was still alive.

Sarah, 38, was convicted of perverting the course of justice and sentenced to six years in prison.

The judge said she was “sure Sarah Walker was the guiding mind behind the detail of (the) plan” to cover up Bernadette’s death, adding: “Each defendant was a willing party in that enterprise.”

The prosecution said Bernadette had told her mother on July 16 that Scott had sexually abused her “over a number of years”, but that Sarah did not believe her daughter’s allegations.

Scott told jurors that Bernadette’s allegations of sexual abuse were “untrue”.

The prosecution said that Bernadette was sent to stay with Scott’s parents overnight on July 17 “while things calmed down a little”, with him collecting her on July 18.

Ms Wilding said that Scott’s phone, “which was usually in regular use”, was off between 11.23am and 12.54pm on July 18.

“The prosecution say that in that hour-and-a-half he killed Bea,” she said.

Ms Wilding said that when Scott’s phone reconnected to the network at 12.54pm, the first call he made was to Sarah, which lasted for more than nine minutes.

The prosecution suggested the pair “concocted” a story during this call to cover up Bernadette’s disappearance and death.

Sarah reported Bernadette as missing to police in the early hours of July 21.

She was found guilty of two counts of perverting the course of justice “knowing or believing” Bernadette to be dead, having already admitted two counts of perverting the course of justice.

These were by sending messages from Bernadette’s phone after she disappeared and by providing false information to the police relating to her disappearance.

Scott Walker was found guilty of murder and of two counts of perverting the course of justice.

Both remained silent as they were led to the cells.